Monday, November 5, 2007

Catching Up on Lost Time

It's been awhile. Which means I have both random and serious thoughts to share with all y'all (translation: the two people who read my blog).

1) Oil of Olay Products are superior to all other products, no matter what the guy at the Benefit counter says.

2) The most fun Halloweens ever are spent among lots of gay men, and usually involve a parade of some sort through the most homosexual part of the city (see San Francisco, 2000; Chicago, 2007; future Halloweens in other gay areas).

3) The best thing for a good workout regimen is a healthy long distance relationship. I rode the red line home with a coworker last week. She had been in a long distance relationship all throughout undergrad and will be marrying that same boyfriend soon. She thinks that a long-distance relationship is harder once you start working, because without someone to come home to, you could possibly convince yourself not to leave work. Not so...as long as you have two spinning instructors who are on a first-name basis with you and a pilates instructor who knows you are the one in her class that gets the horrible toe cramps. If you have the morning and evening schedules of the front-desk workers at your gym memorized, you are most likely in a long-distance relationship. If you have utilized most all offerings of your gym, you might be in a long-distance relationship. I am happy to know that with my resting metabolic rate and activity factor I can eat upwards of 2400 calories each day, but I still miss Nathan. This is pathetic.

4) Are you ready? This is actually pretty deep. I am politically moderate, a centrist, if you will, along with the majority of other Americans. I am really thinking it is time for the centrists to revolt against religious and political zealots (who elect individuals with extreme beliefs in local elections). When these elected leaders eventually find themselves in big-time politics, they really make our country look bad. And extremely conservative. Or extremely liberal. But we're not either, or at least the majority of us are not. I don't know what the moderate slogan would be: "I'm in the middle; hear me roar!"? In numbers too big to ignore? No, we're big in numbers, but definitely ignored. It has always seemed to me that political involvement is a bit too passionate, too fervent. To the point where it's scary. But, being middle-of-the-road, I just can't go out and stand in the middle of the road with a sign that says "While I understand the consequences of abortion, and believe it should be rare, I also believe it should be legal, because we can't assume that we understand every woman's unique position". I don't even know if that would fit on a sign. I just don't know.

I am accepting slogans now. Also, be it known that I likely wouldn't have gone on this rant if my day would have been a little different two Saturdays ago.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I have an irrational fear of Oil of Olay products. This one time, I bought some O.o.O. moisturizer and then a string of bad luck occurred immediately after, so I blamed it on the O.o.O. I threw away the moisturizer and have refused to buy it ever again.

Katie said...

That sounds extreme. You should move to the US.